Sometimes when you open an application, you may encounter a message display, “Application was unable to start correctly 0xc000012d.” This is a common error in Windows that users encounter in their daily PC activities.
However, most users do not understand why error 0xc000012d occurs or how to work around it. So, we took a look at the issue, including some frequently asked questions.
About Application Error 0xc000012d
Error 0xc000012d is majorly an application error but can sometimes be an installation error. It is simply an indication that the application was unable to initialize correctly.
Users have reported encountering error 0xc000012d under different situations, such as during application start-up (opening of an application) or Windows start-up. Some users have also encountered the error during Windows Update.
The error is associated with different Windows applications such as Chrome, Firefox, Office applications, games, etc. When you try to launch these applications, you may receive the error 0xc000012d message, saying:
“The application was unable to start correctly (0x000012d). Click OK to close the application.”
After the error message, the application you were trying to start will quit automatically.
Why Does Application Error 0xc000012d Occur?
Since Application Error 0xc000012d affects different applications, it isn’t easy to point out the exact cause. However, it generally denotes a system malfunction. Different elements can cause system malfunction on a PC, such as:
- Malware or virus attack
- Failed or incorrect application installation on the device
- System misconfiguration
- An uninstallation that left incomplete or invalid registry entries in your Windows system
- Corrupted Windows registry
- Improper Windows shutdown, or restart/reboot, for example, because of a power failure
- Interference by the third-party security software, such as firewall or antivirus programs.
- Programs or software incompatibility
- Driver issues
Can a Virus Cause Application Error 0xc000012d?
Yes, a virus or malware can cause Application Error 0xc000012d to occur but not often. After penetrating the system, some virus or malware strains can begin to alter your settings and block other applications from running.
If the error occurs because of a virus/malware infection, a simple full computer scan can help eliminate the virus.
Sometimes, sensitive security software such as a firewall or third-party AV program can flag an application as a potential threat and classify it as a virus. In this case, you may first want to scan your PC using the antivirus then temporarily disable the AV program.
How Can I Fix Error 0xc000012d?
If you encounter Application Error 0xc000012d, you may want to fix it immediately so that you can continue working with your applications without a glitch. You can find a guided, step-by-step procedure to fix Application Error 0xc000012d here.
Otherwise, here is a summary of how to fix “Application Was Unable To Start Correctly 0xc000012d”:
- Restart your computer
- Scan your system for virus or malware using a quality antivirus program
- Temporarily disable your third-party antivirus program or Windows Defender
- Uninstall any recently installed application or the application you installed last
- Run the Windows app troubleshooter
- Repair missing, damaged, or corrupted system files using the SFC and DISM scans
- Updated your Windows operating system to get the driver updated for the program you’re trying to run
- Clear all temporary cache to remove any uninstallation that might be causing the error
- Note: these solutions are not specific to any application. You can use them on any application that encounters error 0xc000012d.
Always keep your PC clean and safe to avoid such errors as error 0xc000012d. Besides, when your PC is clean, you can easily identify the cause of the problem and solve it immediately. Do not try to fix something that you don’t know how to. Otherwise, you may risk damaging your system.